One of the subjects of discussion is how to get more local amateurs active in the weekly radio nets here in Ukiah and Redwood Valley. We know that there are over 150 hams licensed in the area, but compared to other areas of the county, the participation is sparse.
So, the question is, how do we encourage more local hams to join the net and perhaps even participate in other local ham radio activities and events?
We can imagine that each ham has different reasons for why they’re not active on the local net. Some might include…
- Got a license, but not sure why.
- Got a license, but never got a radio or antenna.
- Got some gear, but didn’t know how to set it up or work it.
- Got some gear, set it up, but didn’t hear anyone on the air.
- Only plan to use it for disaster or search/rescue.
- It’s for talking with family or friends exclusively.
- Only interested in HF, UHF, CW, SSB, TV, PSK31, Packet, etc.
- Only interested in technology or building gear.
- Doesn’t know there’s any local ham club or other activity.
- Doesn’t allocate any time for ham radio.
- No longer interested.
There are probably other reasons too.
Although some of these reasons might be “final”, most seem like they shouldn’t pose an insurmountable barrier. Many could be solved with education, help, or encouragement from other local hams.
Your thoughts on it?